Monday 30 March 2015

Victorian hair inspired by gothic horror

Victorian hair inspired by gothic horror

Lesson summary: learning three different hairstyle techniques which relate to the Victorian era and are also inspired by gothic horror.

Health and safety: be carefully when using the curlers to create the Victorian inspired hair be careful not to burn yourself or the clients scalp due to the appliance being hot.

equipment :
hair pins
curlers
paddle brush
dolls head
sectioning clips
pin tail comb.

In order to create set style curls, firstly create a side parting using the pin tail comb.
The curl the two sections of hair at the front of the head to the temples this is usually about three curls on the side with the centre parting and two curls on the other side.
when curling the sections firstly create sharp sections using the pin tail comb situate the curlers at the end of the hair pull the section of hair up to create volume and roll the curlers towards the scalp and towards you, making sure the curlers are straight otherwise this will cause a dip. Once enough heat is applied to the hair remove the curlers gently and apply two hair pins to keep the curls in place.

Once the front section is curled to about the temples, then curl the back section of hair using the same technique but curling the hair under using the hair curlers. The first curl should be situated on the crown and curled under. Due to creating curls on the crown the next section of hair will be split into two sections and creating two curls this is known as brick laying. Once you have created two curls due to the shape of the crown create one curl underneath carry this technique out until you have reached the neck.

Finally the in order to create curls using the side sections of hair which will spiral round the face, section the hair and carry out the same curling technique this time pointing the curlers towards the face, once heat has been applied to the hair slowly remove the curlers an secure in place using hair pins. Carry out this technique until the whole head I covered in set curls.

The photograph shows my first attempt at creating the hairstyle due to applying the curlers in the wrong direction my curls appeared slightly different. However I carried on with my first attempt to see what the hairstyle would look like in the end ad when I created other hairstyles such as the old maid


The next hairstyle which I created was the old maid hairstyle which was inspired by the Victorian era and also gothic horror. Once I had created all the set curls I firstly had to remove all the hair pins .Next I took the two side sections of hair and twisted the hair around the head, I then secured the twists in place using hair pins. Next I roll the bottom section of hair up and tucked the hair under securing it in place using hair pins.
Finally the top section of curls I backcombed slightly using my pin tail comb and situated the curls around the face create a pin tail curl effect I then secured the curls in place using hair pins.



I was generally quite happy with my first attempt at creating the old maid style hair, considering I curled the set curls in the wrong direction I think the hair style still works well.

Here is a photograph showing the side view of the old maid hairstyle. The photograph shows the sculpted curls at the side of the head which a secured in place using hair pins I feel this really relates to the Victorian era .

The next hair style week created was the sleek curls hair style. In order to create this look I had to firstly remove any hair pins from the previous hairstyle. Then using my paddle brush, brush the hair under and over using my hand as a tool t hold the hair in place.

I was generally quite happy with the outcome of this hairstyle considering I curled the set curls in the wrong directions, I feel the hairstyle still works and looks very sleek.

Finally the last hair style I created was the messy style curls, due to the hair being brushed out in the previous hairstyle I had to shake the hair in order to add volume to the hair and make the curls bounce back .
I found this hairstyle worked conveys an element o gothic horror and is easy to create.
 
In my own time I decided to have a second attempt at the Victorian hairstyles inspired by gothic horror, after making several mistakes when creating the set curls in my technical hair lesson I was able to see where I went wrong and correct the mistakes in my second attempt.
I was generally quite happy with the outcome of the set curls, I felt the hairstyle overall looked neater than my previous attempt, I also felt more confident with what I was doing during my second attempt and also felt the sectioning was a lot tidier.

Here is my second attempt at the Old maid hair style, I carried out exactly the same technique as my previous attempt however I felt due learning from my mistakes in my first attempt and curling the hair in the right direction the hairstyle overall looked a lot neater .

This is my second attempt at the sleek gothic hairstyle, I felt this one looked a lot more sleek and very different in comparison to my first attempt, this was due to learning from my mistakes when creating the set curls and curling them in the right direction in my second attempt, causing hairstyles which include this technique to have a much better finish.

This was my second attempt at the final hairstyle where the curls were shaken into place, although I curled the hair in the right direction in my second attempt which I didn't In my first I preferred the outcome of my first attempt I felt e hair had a lot more volume and due to the curls going the opposite way it also helped to give the hairstyle a gothic edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment