Sunday 15 March 2015

Historical victorian hair

Historical Victorian hair

lesson summary: to create different hairstyles from the Victorian period using curling and plaiting and rolling techniques .

equipment:
curlers
pin tail comb
hairbrush
hair pins
hairspray
sectioning clips
hair band

Health and safety
Be careful not to burn the clients scalp in particular when curling the hair as the equipment can get hot.

Firstly I create a prominent centre parting using tail comb.
The I sectioned the hair into three sections one large section and two smaller sections which start at the front of the hair line and finish just behind the ear, using my pin tail comb and sectioning clips.
once the hair was sectioned I firstly began creating the ringlets either side of the head using my hair curlers.
In order to create the ringlets I sectioned a small piece of hair from one of the sections and began to work the hair up the curlers towards to root using my pin tail comb to tuck in any loose ends.
When creating the ringlets for the 1830s early Victoria hairstyle it was important to have exactly the same amount of ringlets on either side.
 
Once I had created the ringlets with the larger remaining section of hair I created a simple bun.
 
The picture above shows my first attempt at an 1830s hairstyle however I found it slightly difficult to create a bun on the dolls head due to the length and amount of hair.


Here is another attempt at a Victorian hairstyle in Helens lesson.
Firstly using my pin tail comb I created a centre parting also looking in my mirror to make sure the parting was in the centre.
next I create three sections two small sections at the front of the hair to just behind the ear for the ringlets and a larger remaining section for a Victorian style bun using my pin tail comb and sectioning clips.
Then I plaited the larger section of hair and styled it into a plaited bun which I secured in place using several hair pins.
Then I created the ringlets on either side of the head taking into consideration exactly the same amount of ringlets were to be sculpted on either side of the head.
I created the ringlets by working the curlers up the hair using my pin tail comb to tuck in any loose ends.  
Once enough heat was applied to the hair I released the curlers and applied hairspray to the curls.
finally my model had a outgrown fringe in order to incorporate another technique into my design I plaited the shorter pieces of hair and secured them to the bun using several hair pins


Here is another Victorian hairstyle which I attempted in Helens technical lesson.
Firstly I sectioned the hair into a centre parting using m pin tail comb.
Then I sectioned the hair into three using my pin tail comb and sectioning clips
hen using my curlers and pin tail comb I create the equal amount of ringlets either side of the head which I applied hairspray to in order to avoid them from dropping significantly.
Next I tied the larger section of hair into a ponytail .
I then took small sections of the ponytail with my pin tail comb which I applied hairspray to and began to roll up towards the head which I then secured in place with a hair pin.
I carried ot the same process taking sections of hair in order to create a Victorian style bun.
finally any loose pieces of hair in order to avoid the hairstyle from looking untidy I apply the curlers to the hair.


In my own time I create a Victorian style hairstyle.
Firstly I created a centre parting with my pin tail comb.
next I sectioned the hair into three two small sections either side of the head and one larger section.
The I secured the larger section in place with a hair tie.
The I took sections of the ponytail which I applied hairspray to and rolled up towards the head I then secured the rolls in place using hair pins .
I carried out this process In order to create a Victorian style bun.
I then incorporated two plaits into my design which I secured in place underneath the bun.
Finally I sectioned the front two sections into three smaller sections either side which I three rolled and secured in place using hair pins.
 

Here is another photograph of the previous hairstyle but with the first roll at the front of the head curled into sculpted ringlets.


Here Is another photograph of the previous hairstyle but with decoration applied to the hair in order for I to appear more Victorian.


Here is a photograph of my sketch of an early Victorian hairstyle. The image conveys the use of flowers as decoration, the centre parting, ringlets situated either side of the head and a Victorian style bun.


Here is a sketch of my interpretation of another early Victorian hairstyle the Apollo knot, the technique includes a centre parting, ringlets, a rolled or looped styled bun finished with a plait and some floral decoration
 

Consultation notes

Name: Kerry
Aged:22
Hair colour: Brown
Hair length : long
Notes: N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment